Category Archives: Carrying Albert Home
Posted by thelastword1962
Carrying Albert Home by Homer Hickam
Review Date: 19 November 2015
Author: Homer Hickam
Release Date: 19 November 2015
Publishers: Harper Collins
ISBN –10: 000815421X
ISBN – 13: 978-0008154219
Available in Hardback, Kindle and audio
The Last Word Review
The epic story of one man, his wife and her alligator and their epic 800 mile drive
Imagine a young couple taking a 1,000 mile adventure in their car back in the 1930’s that alone is an epic tale. Now add a passenger in the back seat. No ordinary passenger this one. It is a pet alligator. Now begins a real tale of adventure.
Carrying Albert Home by Homer Hickam is based on the true story of his parents. Ok there are a few bits of fiction added in but this is a beautiful tale of redemption and freedom.
Elsie Lavender and Homer Hickam (father of the author) graduated from High School in West Virginia just as the great depression started. Eventually after Elsie returned to West Virginia they married. One of the wedding gifts was a pet alligator named ‘Albert’. With only one bathroom in the house ‘Albert’ claimed the only bath and after Homer had a bit of a ‘scare’ there was an ultimatum from Homer. It is either Albert or me. No wishing to let a pet alligator loose in West Virginia there was only one thing to do. Take Albert home to Florida some 1,000 miles away. Now imagine a thousand mile road trip in the 1930’s with a pet alligator in the back seat.
The beauty of being a book reviewer is that you get to read some of the most amazing books and then you get to read some books that you want your family, friends and other book lovers to read. Carrying Albert Home is just that book. I was not only taken but completely captivated by this love story and basically what this story is. Then again Albert is a real star here, he plays a key role in both their lives from the minute Elsie is given Albert as a wedding gift from her first love Buddy Ebsen. Now being an alligator and taking a starring role, Albert cannot talk but you just fall for him and his unique ways. They way that the author portrays Albert really does work in this book. Then you can throw into the story some truly great names we already know of Buddy Ebsen, but also there is Ernest Hemmingway and John Steinbeck in here as well.
There is also the Rooster that appears on the journey, he just appears well naturally because why not, no real reason but he is here and adds to the story.
The journey has its moments along the way, with the odd kidnapping, bank robberies and shipwrecks. I hope by now this has more than wetted your appetite to get to know Elsie, Homer and Albert. This is story that has more than a few good laughs along the thousand mile journey but it is also incredibly moving and the ending is heart-breaking. Few tears may be shed here so be warned.
I really loved Carrying Albert Home and want as many of you to experience the story that will captivate all that read Homer Hickam’s latest.
Carrying Albert Home by Homer Hickam – The official blog tour 2015
Competition time. I have five copies of Carrying Albert Home to give away in a free prize draw. Head over to my Twitter page: @Thelastword1962 Just follow and retweet the post for this review and you will go into the draw to win one of the copies in hardback. Terms and conditions apply. Please make sure that you read before entering.
Twitter Competition Terms and Conditions
- This competition is promoted by HarperCollins Publishers Limited (“HarperCollins”), 1 London Bridge Street, London, SE1 9FG.
- This promotion is open to all UK residents except employees of HarperCollins
- You must be 18 to enter this competition.
- How to enter: Please follow and retweet the message on my Twitter feed @Thelastword1962 during the times specified below. Open to UK only. The chosen 5 winners will be sent a Direct Message requesting full name and address. Prizes to be sent be Harper Collins.
- The opening date for entries is 19 November 2015. The closing date for entries is 19 November 2015 at 11.59pm. No entries received after this date will be accepted.
- No purchase necessary.
- Only 1 allowed per household. If you try and enter more than once by a) using multiple Twitter accounts or b) tweeting the same entry more than once within a 24 hour period then all of your entries will be invalid.
- The prize is 1 of 5copy of CARRYING ALBERT HOME by HOMER HICKAM in hardback.
- The prize is non-refundable, non-transferable and subject to availability. No guarantee is given as to the quality of the prize.
- No cash or prize alternatives are available.
- HarperCollins reserve the right in their reasonable discretion to substitute any prize with a prize of equal or greater value.
- The winner of the competition will chosen at random and notified by email no later 28 days later. Where we require details from you, if you do not provide these within 28 days of notification we reserve the right to select a different winner.
- All entrants are expected to act fairly and in the good spirit of the competition. HarperCollins reserves the right to investigate any irregularities and disqualify entrants at its absolute discretion.
- The prize will be delivered to the winner after 28 days after they have provided HarperCollins with their postal details. HarperCollins reserves the right to select another winner if the original winner cannot be contacted within a reasonable timeframe.
- Any application containing incorrect, false or unreadable information will be rejected. Any applications made on behalf of or for another person or multiple entries will not be included in the competition.
- HarperCollins’ decision as to who has won the competition shall be final.
- The entry instructions are part of the Terms and Conditions for this competition.
- By entering the competition you are agreeing to accept these Terms and Conditions. Any breach of these Terms and Conditions by you will mean that your entry will not be valid, and you will not be allowed to enter this competition.
- By entering this competition you are agreeing that, if you win, your name and entry may be a) used for the purpose of announcing the winner and/or distributed to individuals who request details of the winner and/or b) in any related publicity by HarperCollins, without additional payment or permission.
- Under no circumstances will HarperCollins be responsible for any loss, damages, costs or expenses arising from or in any way connected with any errors, defects, interruptions, malfunctions or delays in the promotion of the competition or prize.
- HarperCollins will not be responsible unless required by law, for any loss, changes, costs or expenses, which may arise in connection with this competition and HarperCollins can cancel or alter the competition at any stage.
- Any dispute relating to the competition shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales and will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
Meet the Author
Homer Hickam is the bestselling and award-winning author of many books, including the #1 New York Times memoir Rocket Boys, which was adapted into the film October Sky.
He is a Vietnam combat veteran and has also been a coal miner, scuba instructor, palaeontologist and NASA engineer.